Mould & Damp Treatments

Every dwelling, irrespective of its construction, contains within its fabric mould spores which are dormant and completely harmless. However, given the right conditions these spores will germinate resulting in extensive growths of black disfiguring mould.

Mould needs very little nutrient and will grow on walls and ceilings irrespective of the decorative finish. Mould spores will also spread into the air which is a serious health risk, and give off an obnoxious musty smell. Clothes, furnishings and carpets can also be destroyed by unsightly mould.

Mould in the home arises from dampness, predominantly caused by condensation. However, a small proportion of problems occur due to true dampness – rising damp, penetrating damp, bursts and leaks. The incidence of condensation in domestic dwellings has increased tenfold in the last decade and is attributable to various factors – lack of heating – inadequate insulation – inadequate ventilation and so on. The modernisation of properties, making homes virtually airtight and draught free, with new windows, and the removal of open fires, is an additional contributory factor.

Mould in houses, even a small contamination, is a serious health risk which can result in asthma and other respiratory diseases. Mould also attacks foodstuffs resulting in dangerous toxins which in turn can give rise to food poisoning. Environmental Health Professional Practice – Mould Fungal Spores 1985 refers. The British Medical Journal report, Damp Housing, Mould Growth and Symptomatic Health State 24/6/89, confirms that active spores, even in small concentrations, are detrimental to the well-being of adults and children.

Living with mould growth or damp in your home can be a real nightmare. The good news is, with our experience, the cause of these types of symptoms is usually easily identified, and the remedy is often simple and surprisingly inexpensive. Call us today for a free survey and no obligation quote.